Monday, August 6, 2012

Alma's (and my own) Lament

 I have come to the realization, for good or for bad, that I may not care about a lot of things, I care very deeply about those few topics I do care about. Two topics I care about are Politics and religion, more specifically the gospel. Don't worry I won't get political here, its not the place; however with a Mormon, Mitt Romney, running for president the church has and will continue to come under fire from both the democrats and other  independent bloggers and such.

When I see the church being labeled as a cult or the Book of Mormon being mocked, or Joseph Smith being labeled as a crook or a con man or any thing contrary to what he is, a prophet of God. I often quote Alma in saying "O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people  Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth."

I too wish that god would grant me the Power to smite down those who make a mockery of those truths and covenants I hold most dear, but then I remember that I am being selfish and need to do the best that I can with the Lord's help and one day he will say to me "well done thou good and faithful servant"

4 comments:

  1. By Definition the LDS Religion is in fact a cult... doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. In fact, by definition 98.99% of religions would be considered a cult. Read the definition and tell me it's not and that being a cult is a bad thing. This definition comes from dictionary.com, but its pretty accurate to what webster states as well. Breathe easy, Jaker. People using the term "Cult" in an degrading manner don't even know what it means or that they are insulting all religions all over the world. (:

    cult   [kuhlt]
    noun
    1.
    a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
    2.
    an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
    3.
    the object of such devotion.
    4.
    a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
    5.
    Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably already know, but just in case you don't:
      Veneration means to revere, respect, and have reverence toward something.

      Love and Love,
      Becks

      Delete
    2. Becks, I know what a cult is by the "official" definition, but if you look at the way most people define cult I'll use urban dictionary here because I think it does a good job of defining the "alternate" definition
      - A group, often times though not always religious or spiritual in nature, that is led by a single or small group of leader(s). Members are often recruited or by some means persuaded to join, rarely if ever knowing how destructive and harmful a cult can be -- rarely knowing that it IS a cult. Though they usual come off as being generous, caring and in the best interests of their members, cults are inherently based on furthering the desires of cult leaders.
      -
      This is the definition that most adhere to, and by this definition, the church is Definately NOT a cult, and thats where I get... fired up.

      Delete
    3. Good thoughts, Jake. Thanks for sharing

      Delete